Welcome to my blog!

Surprised as I am to say it, a new year has just begun. And as per tradition I have made several new years resolutions to myself. In order to self-motivate and help myself stay on track I decided to start a blog. I will be blogging about my photography, my passion for dance, my trails and errors with learning yoga and snowboarding, cooking, music, movies and anything else I may find interesting along the way.

I currently pursing my bachelors in Event Management in Burlington, VT and will be planning several fund-raising events in the future. I will be posting information about the events and encourage you to support the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

My favorite Disney movie as of lately has been Alice in Wonderland and after choosing my blog title I decide to use an appropriate pen name, just for fun.

My goal is to be posting every day but I will settle for weekly, we'll see how it goes.
Constructive criticism, questions or clarification, helpful tips or advice and positive thoughts are encouraged :)
xoxoAlice

Check out all of my photography: http://www.flickr.com/photos/throughthelookingglass23

Monday, January 10, 2011

First Day Back

Filled with high hopes and a few butterflies, I cleaned the snow off my car and set forth to campus. Today marks the beginning of a journey to a new me, a happier, healthier more energized me. First on the schedule is some yoga breathing exercises for beginners.



Then some jump roping to get my heart rate up. Followed by 40 jumping jacks, 40 crunches and 20 sit ups with 3lbs weights, then some stretching and breathing to cool down.

I tried some of these energizing stretches:

Standing Cat & Cow – Stand with your feet wider than your shoulders, knees slightly bent. Inhale and open your arms out to the side, lifting your sternum, and exhale as you round your spine, tuck your chin towards the chest and bring the arms back in front. Continue moving each way 4-6 breaths.

5 pointed Star – Continue in that same wide stance, with feet straight ahead and arms out in a “T” shoulder height. Draw your belly button towards the spine and stand tall, relaxing the shoulders. Feel the strength in your arms and lift the sternum without arching the low back. Hold for 3-5 breaths.

Reverse Warrior – Turn your right foot out and bend into the right knee. Make sure the right knee is stacked right over the right ankle. If you need to, widen your stance to make this more comfortable. Drop your left arm down by your side and lift the right arm overhead. You should feel grounded in the legs, but a nice lift in the upper body. Gaze up at the right hand or down at your left foot. Hold for 3-5 breaths and switch sides.

Chest Expansion – Standing in Mountain pose, draw your arms behind you and lift with your sternum. Try to keep the low back in a neutral position. Draw the shoulder blades closer together behind you. Hold and breathe for 3 breaths.

Standing Forward Fold – From Chest Expansion, soften your knees and fold forward, allowing your upper body to dangle and relax. Hold opposite elbows if that’s comfortable, relaxing the head, neck and shoulders. Breathe and hold for 4 breaths.

Move down to your back on the floor…

Knees to Chest - Hug your knees in toward your chest. You may rock side to side or just hold here and feel your back supported by the floor.

Flowing Bridge - Place your feet hip width apart and right under your knees with arms down by your side, palms down. As you inhale, gently press into your arms and feet and lift the hips off the mat. As you exhale, release back to the floor. Continue 6-8 times, moving with your breath.

Off to work I go...Gonna try this out when I feel a little drowsy at the desk.


No comments:

Post a Comment